Officials announced Wednesday that an autopsy had been performed on most of the victims who mysteriously collapsed and died at a South Africa nightclub early Sunday morning.
One source reportedly said results of the autopsy were still pending but the recovered bodies had a strong odor, and gas poisoning was suspected.
It’s still unclear what type of gas poisoning the victims may have inhaled or ingested.
Officials originally said 22 people were killed. The number of people who died was later clarified as 21.
The victims were mostly under the age of 18. One of the victims was as young as 13 years old.
It’s not known when officials will have a definitive answer about what type of poisoning killed the victims.
What led to the poisoning is also still under investigation.
Some bars and taverns in parts of South Africa are known to side-skirt the law and operate illegally. Patrons must be over the age of 18 to enter drinking establishments in South Africa.
A mass funeral is expected to held next week.
More about the tragic deaths can be found here.
Opinion: There is still a lot unknown about the cause of deaths, including if they were accidental or intentional. BNN will continue to follow this story.
Blog dedicated to news and viewpoints from Black journalists who support, and inform, communities of color.
Original content, and curated articles, are posted and updated daily.